In South Africa, over 18 million people rely on social grants from the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) as a critical source of income. These grants help vulnerable groups meet their basic needs.
If you are an approved SASSA grant beneficiary, you have several options to access your monthly funds. One of those options is being able to withdraw your grant in cash directly from Boxer stores across the country.
This article provides a step-by-step guide on how to collect your SASSA grant payments from any Boxer store each month.
Withdrawing SASSA Grants from Boxer
- Boxer has partnered with SASSA to help pay out social grants in cash at their stores.
- This gives beneficiaries an alternative to queuing at Post Office branches on payment days.
- To withdraw your grant from Boxer, you need your original green ID book and the mobile number used to register for your grant.
- Enter your ID and mobile number at the till to verify your grant is available. Approve the confirmation SMS code.
- The teller will then count out your exact grant amount in cash for you to collect.
- Grants can only be collected during the designated 5-day SASSA payment period each month.
How to Withdraw Your SASSA Grant at Boxer
Follow these steps to withdraw your monthly SASSA grant in cash at any Boxer store:
1. Wait for the SMS Notification
- A few days before the payment date, you will receive an SMS from SASSA indicating your grant is available for collection.
- The SMS will specify that your grant can be collected in cash from Boxer stores.
- Do not go to any Boxer to try to collect your grant until you have received this SMS.
2. Visit a Boxer Store
- Once you have received the SMS about your grant being payable, go to your nearest Boxer store.
- Boxer has over 160 stores in all provinces of South Africa. Most beneficiaries have a store located close by.
- Visit the store during the 5-day payment period stated in your SMS from SASSA.
3. Take ID and Mobile Phone
- To collect your grant, you MUST bring your original green, barcoded ID book or smart ID card. Photocopies are not accepted.
- Also, have the mobile phone you used to register for the grant. This is needed to receive a verification PIN.
- Do not try to claim someone else’s grant using their ID or mobile number. That is fraudulent.
4. Input Details at Till Point
- Go directly to the till point at Boxer and notify the cashier you are there to collect your SASSA grant.
- When prompted, input your 13-digit South African ID number into the point-of-sale device.
- Also, input the mobile number you used when applying for the grant.
5. Approve Confirmation SMS
- You will then receive an SMS from SASSA containing a confirmation PIN code.
- Show this SMS to the cashier and approve or enter the PIN code on your phone.
- This authorizes SASSA to release your funds to Boxer for payout.
6. Collect Cash Grant Amount
- Once identity and grant availability are confirmed, the teller will count out the exact rand amount of your monthly SASSA grant in cash.
- Count the money before leaving the till area to ensure you receive the full amount.
- Keep your ID and SMS confirmation code safe in case you need to return to the store to resolve any issues.
- No fee is charged by Boxer for grant collections. You receive 100% of your approved grant amount.
Tips for Successfully Collecting Your Grant from Boxer
Follow these tips for a smooth grant collection process at Boxer stores:
- Only go to collect your grant once the SMS notification comes through from SASSA. Never try to collect in advance.
- Double-check the dates in the SMS to ensure you visit the store during your grant’s payment period.
- Treat your ID document with care and ensure you do not lose it, as it is required to collect your SASSA grant.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged and has airtime credit to receive the confirmation PIN SMS message.
- Be patient with cashiers as grant payment days are extremely busy. Expect queues at Boxer on these days.
- Visit the store as early as possible once your grant payment cycle starts to avoid long queues closer to the deadline.
- Memorize your ID number instead of taking your ID book into the store if concerned about safety.
- If the grant amount paid out is incorrect, speak to the manager immediately for resolution before leaving the store.
- Keep all grant collection SMSes and receipts as proof of payment should you need to query any discrepancies with SASSA later.
SASSA Grants That Can Be Collected From Boxer
The main SASSA grant types that beneficiaries can withdraw in cash from Boxer stores are:
Older Person’s Grant
- Paid to South African senior citizens over 60 years old who meet income criteria.
- The current value is R1990 per month (as of 2023).
- Follow all steps outlined earlier to withdraw your Older Person’s Grant from Boxer on payment days.
- Paid to South Africans with a confirmed physical or mental disability.
- The current value is R1990 per month (as of 2023).
- Use your ID and registered mobile number to collect your full Disability Grant amount from Boxer.
Child Support Grant
- Caregivers of eligible children under 18 can apply.
- The current value is R480 per child per month (as of 2023).
- Withdraw using the primary caregiver’s ID details and registered mobile number.
SRD Social Relief Grant
- Introduced during COVID-19 to assist unemployed individuals with no income.
- Value is R350 per approved applicant per month.
- Can be collected in cash from any Boxer store location.
Why Withdraw SASSA Grants from Boxer Stores?
Collecting SASSA grant payments from Boxer provides numerous benefits:
- Boxer stores are located countrywide, even in rural areas and townships. Provides easy access.
- Stores are open 7 days a week from 8 am to 9 pm for convenient collection times.
- Collections take just a few minutes if you have your ID and mobile details on hand.
- POS systems quickly verify beneficiaries and pay out grants. No lengthy queues.
- Boxer stores provide a reliable, predictable grant collection point each month.
- An alternative is if Post Office branches have payment issues or closures.
- The confirmation PIN system provides enhanced identity verification before payouts.
- Reduces the need to travel long distances carrying large amounts of cash.
- Beneficiaries can privately collect grants while shopping without standing in public queues.
Reminders When Collecting from Boxer
Here are some key reminders for smooth SASSA grant collections at Boxer:
- Only visit the store to collect your grant once the SMS comes through from SASSA confirming the payment date.
- Collect your OWN grant. Never fraudulently try to claim someone else’s grant money.
- Memorize your ID number instead of carrying your ID book if concerned about safety.
- Ensure your mobile phone is charged and has airtime credit to receive the PIN SMS.
- Be patient with cashiers on busy payment days. Politely follow up on any payout discrepancies.
- Keep payment confirmations and slips as proof in case you need to query issues with SASSA later.
- Report lost or stolen ID books immediately and apply for a new ID before the next grant payment.
- Inform SASSA if your mobile number changes so they can update your details for grants.
Withdrawing your SASSA grant from Boxer provides a quick, convenient way to securely access your essential grant funds in cash each month. Just remember to have your valid ID and registered mobile phone on hand.
Changing Your SASSA Grant Payment Method
If you want to change your grant payment method from Boxer collections to something else, here is the process:
- Visit your nearest SASSA office and obtain an Annexure C form.
- Indicate on the form if you want to change to bank account deposits, SASSA card, or other available payment methods.
- Submit the completed Annexure C form along with your ID and fingerprints at the SASSA office to confirm your identity.
- SASSA will then stop paying your grant out at Boxer. Expect a 1-2 month delay as the change is processed on their system.
- You will receive an SASSA card in the mail or start receiving bank account deposits depending on your requested new payment method.
- Destroy your old SASSA card once the new payment method is activated to prevent fraud.
You can submit a new Annexure C at any time to change your payment method again if needed. Visit SASSA for assistance.
Other Ways to Get Your Monthly SASSA Grant
In addition to cash collections at Boxer stores, here are other ways SASSA beneficiaries can access their monthly grants:
Bank Account Direct Deposit
- SASSA can pay grants directly into beneficiaries’ personal bank accounts each month.
- To set this up, visit SASSA to complete an Annexure C bank form. Provides access via ATMs, online, etc.
SASSA Card Withdrawals
- SASSA issues a special debit card to grant beneficiaries.
- Use it to withdraw grant cash at ATMs, banks, and retailers. Can also be used for purchases.
- Limited cash can only be accessed during the 5-day payment cycle each month.
Cash Send eWallet
- Available from major banks like FNB, Standard Bank, ABSA, Nedbank, Capitec.
- SASSA loads money into a virtual eWallet using your mobile number.
- Withdraw eWallet cash at supported ATM networks using a temporary OTP PIN.
- Services like Mukuru, and Mama Money allow grants to be sent to another mobile number.
- The recipient cashes out the money at specific agents. Useful for sending funds.
- Fees of 5-20% are charged per transaction.
Post Office Paypoints
- Grants can be collected in cash from Post Office branches.
- Only available on designated grant payment dates during the month.
- Typically long queues as many beneficiaries use this payment method.
Consider which option best suits your needs and personal circumstances. Boxer provides a quick alternative for collecting your full grant amount in cash every month.
Steps to Change SASSA Grant Payment Method to Boxer
If you currently collect your SASSA grant via another method but want to change to collecting it in cash at Boxer stores, follow these steps:
Step 1: Obtain Annexure C Form
- Visit your closest local SASSA office and request an Annexure C form from the consultant.
- This is the official change of payment method form. It is also available on the SASSA website to download and print.
Step 2: Complete Form with Boxer Details
- Fill in all your personal and grant details on the Annexure C form.
- Where it states Selected Payment Method, mark the box for “Pay-out at Retail Store”
- Underneath write “Boxer” as your desired retail store.
Step 3: Submit the Form at the SASSA Office
- Submit the completed Annexure C form at the SASSA office where you obtained it.
- Provide your green barcoded ID book and fingerprints so they can confirm your identity.
- The SASSA consultant will process the form and update your grant payment method.
Step 4: Wait for Confirmation SMS
- It will take 1-2 months for the payment method change to fully take effect.
- Keep checking your current payment method until you receive an SMS from SASSA confirming Boxer as your new grant payout point.
- Once you get this SMS notification, you can start collecting your grant in cash from Boxer stores.
Changing your grant payment method to Boxer provides convenient access to your funds each month. Just be sure to complete all steps accurately using your personal details to avoid issues.
Additional Tips for Changing the SASSA Payment Method
Here are some extra tips when changing your SASSA grant payment method to Boxer:
- If possible, change your method 1-2 months before your next grant payment date, so the change is processed in time.
- To change payment method, you must personally visit a SASSA office. Email or postal submissions of forms are not accepted.
- If you don’t receive an SMS notification about payment method change after 2 months, follow up at SASSA.
- Once you start collecting grants from Boxer, keep your SASSA card as a backup until the new method is working smoothly.
- Confirm your grant amount at Boxer matches what you previously received before destroying your old SASSA card.
- If your ID or mobile number changes, visit SASSA immediately to update your details to prevent payment issues.
FAQs about Withdrawing SASSA Grant Money from Boxer
When can I collect my SASSA grant from Boxer each month?
You can only collect your monthly SASSA grant in cash from Boxer during the 5-day payment period specified in the SMS you receive from SASSA. Do not attempt collections before or after these dates.
What if I lost my ID book? Can I still collect my grant from Boxer?
No, you cannot collect any SASSA grant without presenting your valid original green barcoded ID book or smart ID card. Report the lost ID and apply for a replacement urgently from Home Affairs.
What do I do if the mobile number I registered with SASSA was stolen?
Immediately notify SASSA and provide your new mobile number so they can update your details. You will need the new number to receive the confirmation PIN when collecting grants from Boxer.
Can I send someone else to collect my SASSA grant for me from Boxer?
No, that is fraudulent. Every beneficiary must personally collect their own grant at the store using their own unique ID and registered mobile number for verification. There are no exceptions.
I lost my SMS notification message. Can I still collect my grant from Boxer?
Without the SMS you will not have the dates your grant can be collected. Visit or call your closest SASSA office and they can check the payment dates and resend the SMS notification to you.
What if the Boxer cashier pays out the wrong grant amount?
If your grant amount is incorrect, immediately ask to speak to the store manager to resolve the discrepancy before leaving the store. Do not leave without the full correct amount being paid.
Does Boxer charge a fee to collect my SASSA grant in cash?
No, Boxer does not charge any fees or deductions when paying out SASSA grants in cash. You receive 100% of your approved monthly grant amount.
Withdrawing your SASSA grant in cash each month from Boxer stores provides convenience, dignity, and security. Follow all steps carefully when changing your payment method to ensure you continue receiving your essential grant funds without interruption.